The panels are installed on my garage roof, wired in to a battery bank and inverter which primarily functions as a very large (4KW) uninterruptible power supply for the house. So far, everything is working fine. They keep the batteries topped off without using power from the grid.I attached some 12 Volt 7.2A batteries. I am able to charge a battery charger now. This works great. I can plug a 12Volt 5A battery to the inverter and have overnight power for my bedroom. I bought one for my mom. I want to add one to every family in my parent's fold. My only gripe is it arrived with a busted frame pipe that supported the middle of the frame. I glued it together. I called Sunforce and asked for a new pipe. They said they were on backorder. If I need, I will call them later to see if they can send me another pipe. I do not feel I will need one soon.
I have yet to set this up, I was looking for something in case of power outage. I did not want to get a generator, because, if you cant get gas what good is it. However, most solar panel are not cheep, when I seen this set and how easily it was to set up I got it. However, I did get a bigger 1500 watt power inverter. I don't know much about solar panels, and there is not much information out there, on the net, for proper uses and setting one up. However, I do know about inverters, living life on the road for man years, they simply run off batteries and the better the inverter the larger appliance you are able to run. One just needs to be able to charge the batteries and what better way.
Installed these panels on the roof of my travel trailer for those trips into the areas where no services are available. They keep all but the air conditioner working just fine. When I leave my trailer in storage, I turn on a few lights in the bathroom to draw juice from the batteries during the night and allows the solar panels to charge them during the day. Long-term storage in the desert is a battery killer, and this procedure gives them extended life. I just leave my panels laying flat with a ratcheted strap to hold them down through the desert's many wild windy days.
With these two sets i now have 5 sets of 60 watts and 3 sets of 45 watts and 2 15 watt panels. 3 sets on one battery bank, 2 sets on another battery bank, the 45 watt sets are hooked up to my big trucks to keep the batteries charged while setting as well as the 15 watt panels to carry in my big trucks to keep the batteries charged while off road. I have never used the supplied charge controller or inverter. I upgraded these to larger (for more sets) or waterproof (for my trucks) controllers. I run off the 12 volt battery banks instead of inverters.
The solar panels themselves are well built. The frame is plastic, so I built a steele frame for it. These put out as advertised, the problem is many don't do the math before they purchase solar panels. 80 watts is not a lot of power. This would keep up with a couple of light bulbs if the sun kept shining 24 hours a day. I know that before I purchased them. This is a good starter kit, however, you will want to buy a larger controller and inverter if you are going to turn on things like televisions, microwaves and so on. I bought a 120 amp hour battery, 1500 watt inverter and 30 amp controller. This has allowed me to operate computers, large screen TV, lights, harddrives. Once the battery is drained down however, it takes several good sunny days to fully charge this battery back up. I will be adding on solar panels over time.


No comments:
Post a Comment